- This event has passed.
Earth Corps: Kirkland Earth Day at Edith Moulton Park
April 20, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
|ABOUT THIS EVENT:
Join the Green Kirkland Partnership and EarthCorps as we spend the day at Edith Moulton Park! Located on 26 forested acres, this former farm site offers a creek, trails & a small picnic shelter for residents to enjoy.
We supply gloves, tools, water and snack bars. We will teach you everything you need to know about tool use, safety, forest health, and the importance of the work you will be doing. No prior experience necessary, just come ready to learn something new!
This project is part of a larger collaboration known as the Green Kirkland Partnership: an alliance between the City of Kirkland, nonprofit partners, businesses, and the community to restore natural areas in the city. For more information, please visit www.greenkirkland.org.
For your safety and comfort please bring:
- Clothing that can get dirty (because it will!)
- Long pants and long sleeves (helps protect against prickly plants)
- Sturdy shoes that can handle some mud (closed toed shoes are required such as work boots, hiking boots, rubber boots, etc. NO sandals, flats, or heels)
- Rain gear and warm layers (check the weather!)
- Sack lunch and snacks
- Full water bottle
- Travel mug for tea/coffee
- If you have a favorite pair of gloves, feel free to bring them (otherwise we’re happy to provide a pair)
The event will happen rain or shine!
What will volunteers be doing at the event?
While the exact tasks at hand vary, our projects focus on improving the forests and parks in our local cities. Healthy and thriving forests are vital to our community because they absorb and naturally filter rain water, produce clean oxygen, provide living spaces for wildlife, and create a place for people to connect with the outdoors.
In order to help create healthy forests, the work can include:
- Removing aggressive weeds (like English Ivy or Himalayan Blackberry)
- Maintaining areas where these weeds have been removed
- Planting trees and shrubs during the rainy season (often Oct.-Feb.)
If you are coming as a group, the group leaders are expected to have an active role in our events. After registering your group, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org to make sure everything is in order. On the day of the event, make yourself known to the staff (in bright yellow vests) and arrive early in order to help guide your group members.
Youth under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian, or responsible adult. All volunteers between the ages of 14 and 17 that are not with a parent or guardian must bring a filled out Youth Waiver the day of the event. NOTE: This event requires the City of Kirkland’s youth waiver (not the EarthCorps youth waiver), so please double check that you have the correct document.
Youth and school groups are welcome to attend; leaders should contact the Volunteer Team to take care of all necessary preparations.
Approximate Address: 108th Ave NE & Northeast 137th Place, Kirkland, WA 98034
Meeting spot: TBD